If you love the taste of chocolate but are trying to cut down on those extra calories, this nutritious protein shake is almost indispensible! The delicious taste of chocolate and pistachio nuts is combined with the protein goodness of whey powder plus spinach (you definitely do NOT taste it in this recipe though)!
To make this nutritious and delicious recipe, just put the following ingredients into your blender in this order:
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (try substituting other milks to vary the taste, rice milk is lower in protein but has a delicate flavour)
- 1 scoop vanilla flavoured whey protein powder (buy on Amazon)
- 1/8th – 1/4 teaspoon of mint extract
- 1 tsp Stevia, Splenda or other non-sugar sweetener
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 tablespoon of sugar free chocolate pudding (buy on Amazon)
- 1 tablespoon of sugar free pistachio pudding (buy on Amazon)
- 1 handful of fresh spinach (baby leaf is best)
- 1 small pinch of xanthum gum powder
- 10 – 12 ice cubes
Why is spinach the dieter’s friend?
Spinach is a great food to eat if you are dieting because it has two powerful benefits for anyone trying to cut down on how much they are eating. In addition to the facts that it is a very low calorie food to begin with, it is packed with nutrients that are vital to the correct working of the body. It contains many of the B group vitamins in addition to Vitamins C, E and K. It also contains vital trace minerals such as iron (probably we all knew that because we have all watched a Popeye cartoon at some time in our lives), plus copper and manganese. Studies have proven that getting these vitamins and minerals from a food-source such as spinach rather than packaged into a supplement pill, helps our bodies to absorb them better.
But what about the two main benefits for dieters?
- Spinach is a great source of fiber. This may not sound very exciting but it is a fact that you will be glad of if you are dieting. In addition to helping to protect your digestive system from the diseases associated with a low fiber diet such as colon cancer, eating fiber will help you feel fuller for longer. So this delicious protein shake will provide a low calorie chocolate taste ‘hit’ plus keep you feeling full through to your next meal – and the best bit is that if you don’t like spinach, you won’t even taste it!
- Spinach can also help to balance your blood sugar due to the manganese content. Keeping your blood sugar steady can help to reduce those ‘slumps’, like the four-o-clock craving when you reach for the cookie jar because your blood sugar levels have hit a low! Not only is this beneficial if you are trying to reduce your cravings for sweet and sugary things, but it will also help you to cut down on unnecessary calories too. However, before you get too excited about this benefit, you need to eat spinach or other dark green leafy vegetables regularly in order to get the full benefit from its blood sugar regulating properties.