Take a look at the video below and you will find it contains a brief description of the ingredients needed for this delicious smoothie – (don’t worry though, you won’t miss anything as we have written down exactly what you need). Actually, the video is included not so much for the recipe, but more for what this lady says about nutrition. The picture quality is not that great, but if you stick with it, you will get a really good insight into why what we eat is so important for our bodies if we want to lose weight. She explains so clearly why consuming a diet that is rich in all the essential nutrients is vital if we want to achieve our weight loss goals.
Most of us when trying to shed a few pounds go on a diet to cut down on the calories – but if a body is not getting sufficient protein and the vital elements it needs to remain healthy, it will ‘think’ it is starving and not start to burn fat.
Our bodies are designed to survive periods of famine by lowering our metabolism and hanging onto those fat stores. Just reducing the calorie intake will not necessarily result in the fat loss you want, you need to pay attention to the nutritional value of the food you are eating.
Check out the video and get a great recipe that includes protein powder from sprouted seeds. Of course, you could always replace this with the protein supplement of your choice.
Fruit and Seeds Meal Replacement Protein Smoothie
This smoothie shake, provides a great lunchtime meal replacement and will provide you with the nutrition you need to keep your energy levels up and prevent you feeling that ‘four o-clock slump’ when we are most tempted to reach for the cookies or candy!
You will need
- 3 strawberries (you could also use a handful of blueberries or any other soft fruit of your choice)
- 1 tablespoon organic Flaxseed (ground – it is best to grind your own when you need it, but you can use the pre-ground kind if you wish)
- 1 tablespoon Chia seed – again, this is best if you grind it for this recipe (read more about this amazing ingredient below)
- 1 scoop of Garden of Life raw protein
- 1 scoop of Garden of Life super green formula
- About 10 fluid ounces of organic soy milk (if you wish, you could substitute coconut or almond milk)
- For a sweeter flavor, add a little Stevia to taste
Whiz together in your blender and enjoy! On a hot day, you could use frozen fruits or just add some ice cubes – both of which will help to make your smoothie shake deliciously thick and creamy.
How Can Chia Seeds Help You Lose Weight?
One of the main benefits from the dieter’s point of view is that Chia seeds help to keep you feeling fuller for longer. Chia seeds can help you reach your weight loss goals by eliminating hunger between meals. These tiny little seeds come from the sage plant, the leaves of which are so popular as an herb in many culinary recipes as well as having antiseptic properties in medicinal use.
For dieters, the seeds are packed with nutrients, containing good levels of vitamins, calcium and other minerals, magnesium, zinc and even more Omega-3 fatty acids than flax seeds.
How To Add The Goodness of Chia Seeds to Your Diet
- You can eat them ground, as in the recipe above
- Use them whole, either sprinkled onto other foods or swallowed with some water.
- Leave them to soak in water for around ten minutes to get a gel which can be added to many recipes and really packs a nutritional punch!
Chia Seeds are Low in Calories, High in Fiber
The reason why Chia seeds fill you up and keep you feeling fuller is that although a tablespoon of these seeds contains only around seventy calories, it also contains around five to six grams of fiber. The soluble fiber keeps hunger at bay and helps you resist the temptation for snacking. Of course it is not just those trying to lose weight who will benefit from soluble fiber; it provides vital protection for the digestive system, helping to prevent long term health problems such as bowel disease and colon cancer.