Protein shakes are a great way to add extra protein to the diet, but they are also a brilliant way to add essential nutrients and ‘superfoods’ to our diets.
This shake features coconut oil which is a true superfood. Not only does it add natural sweetness to this recipe but also essential fatty acids. Scroll down to the bottom of the page for more health benefits of this ingredient.
Recipe for Green Pina Colada Protein Shake
- 1 Frozen Banana
- 1/2 cup of Frozen Mango
- 1/2 cup of Frozen Pineapple
- Handful of baby Spinach leaves
- 1 Scoop Perfect Plant Protein*
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- Coconut Milk **
*Perfect Plant Protein (from Perfect Supplements) is an organic and raw blend of mushroom, hemp and brown rice protein and so contains absolutely no animal ingredients.
Top Tip: If you have difficulty obtaining the protein powder used in this recipe, or cannot eat mushrooms, we recommend Garden of Life RAW Protein, this is a certified organic and vegan complete protein powder containing 17 grams of protein in every scoop. We like this product in particular because it also contains digestive enzymes and probiotics to support the digestive system.
**The amount of coconut milk you add is down to personal taste. We suggest you start with 8 – 10 fluid ounces and add more if you want to adjust the consistency of your pina colada.
- Place the ingredients into your blender in the order listed. Blend until smooth.
- For serving, you can sprinkle the top of the pina colada with a little shredded coconut and/or, decorate the rim of the glass with a slice of pineapple. Of course, if you are making this delicious green smoothie for guests you could go the whole hog and serve in cocktail glasses with little paper parasols!
Spotlight on Key Ingredient, Coconut Oil
This oil is solid at room temperature because it is a saturated fat and this has resulted in it receiving a ‘bad press’ in the past! He was comparing it to olive oil and stated that both contained 119 calories and 13 grams of fat in each tablespoon so there is no ‘calorie benefit’ to using coconut oil.
However, he explained that this oil contains medium chain fatty acids (or triglycerides) that are metabolized differently than long chain fatty acids. It is the way that they are metabolized that may help with weight loss.
Other Benefits From Coconut Oil
- Coconut oil raises the levels of HDL (‘good’) cholesterol and provides powerful antioxidant benefits like those gained from eating blueberries and goji berries.
- It helps to regulate blood sugar levels so this can certainly help dieters trying to shed extra pounds because, by ironing out those peaks and troughs in blood glucose levels, food cravings and hunger pangs are diminished.
- The fat in coconut oil helps the body to absorb key minerals calcium and magnesium which are vital for bone health. This will be of particular interest to women dieters, who may have concerns about Osteoporosis
- It can also help to give your immune system a boost. Often when trying to lose weight, we cut down on calories but end up not eating enough of the right nutrients to keep our immune systems strong, leaving ourselves vulnerable to all sorts of ‘nasties’. Coconut oil contains key ingredients with protective qualities that fight fungi, bacteria and viruses so it could be a useful addition to your diet, particularly during the winter ‘coughs and colds’ season.
If you want to get hold of the same product from Perfect Supplements that is used in the video, it is available at a great price here and you may even be able to get free shipping!